Dry eye occurs when there are not enough tears on the front of the eye to lubricate effectively.
• A stinging, burning or scratchy sensation in your eyes
• Stringy mucus in or around your eyes
• Increased eye irritation from smoke or wind
• Eye fatigue
• Sensitivity to light
• Eye redness
• A sensation of having something in your eyes
• Difficulty wearing contact lenses
• Periods of excessive tearing
• Blurred vision, often worsening at the end of the day or after focusing for a prolonged period
During a dry eye consultation our Optometrist will do a slit lamp evaluation to assess your tear film and meibomian glands, measure your tear break up time, corneal staining and use a Schirmer test to see whether your eyes are producing enough tears.
You will also complete a questionnaire at each visit which will assist us in evaluating how effective your treatment is.
Each individual is different, and your unique treatment option will be formulated and discussed with you during your consultation with our Optometrist. After your initial consultation we will have a treatment plan specifically for your dry eye condition.
We can offer you a variety of dry eye treatments in store. These include:
• Tear drop supplements, specifically recommended for your type of dry eye
• Blephasteam moist heat therapy, Blephasteam is a safe and painless way to relieve symptoms associated with Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Blephasteam maintains the perfect therapeutic temperature and environment to melt the thickened secretions with our Meibomian glands, allow for effective in-office eyelid expression by our optometrists after each session. The result is better production of oils required for high quality tears, and improved dry eye symptoms. Blephasteam treatments may require repeating depending on the severity of your dry eye conditions.
• Meibomian Gland expression, which clears out blocked glands
• Blephex eyelid professional cleaning (please see more information under our blepharitis section)
|Initial Dry Eye Consultation||$80|
|Initial Blephasteam Therapy||$155|
|Additional Blephasteam Therapy||$60|